The project will be assigned after I learn more about the abilities of the individual students in the class. Normally, the project is defined in a sentence or a short paragraph (e.g., the 2004 project)..
Once the project is defined, you need to
- Pick a mathematical model
- Pick a discretization method
- Write a quick, simple code in Matlab
- Write a parallel code for the HP Superdome or the campus PC cluster using either MPI or OpenMP in C or Fortran.
- Visualize the calculation.
Obviously, you would need a long time to do this at a professional level. You do not have the needed time, so you will have to take a number of shortcuts.
In the end, the class (as a group) should turn in
- A report (cf., Sports Lighting project) detailing what you did, the choices, why you made the choices you did, and numerical results.
- Working codes (Matlab and C/Fortran)